Further Training for Graduate Students
The Friedrich-Alexander University of Erlangen-Nuremberg offers several continued education and skills enhancement classes for graduates:
- The FAU Career Service offers events, workshops, and counseling sessions in both English and German.
- Jobportal Stellenwerk
Center for the Education of Teachers:
- The Center for the Education of Teachers (Zentrum für Lehrerinnen- und Lehrerbildung) offers many courses and lectures in various fields, with some topics available in English. For more information, please visit their homepage (in German).
Center for Applied Philosophy of Science and Key Qualifications:
- The Center for Applied Philosophy of Science and Key Qualifications (Zentralinstitut für Wissenschaftsreflexion und Schlüsselqualifikationen) offers many interesting courses for students, scientists, and researchers in all fields of study, some of which are available in English. Recent examples of such courses include:
- Ethics of (Medical) Engineering
- Innovation Leadership
- Innovation Management
- Please visit their homepage for more recent information.
- While most offerings of the Graduate Center are only availabe in German, many are also taught in English. Examples of courses that have been offered in English include:
- Academic Writing for Doctoral Candidates
- Designing Effective Academic Posters
- Intelligent Conversation in English
- Introduction to German Academia
- Lateral Leadership in Higher Education
- Preparing for the Doctoral Defense (in the Natural and Technical Sciences)
- Presentation Skills
- Project Management in Research Projects
- Small Talk at Conferences
- The Language Center (Sprachenzentrum) offers classes in many, many spoken languages as well as sign language. You can take the opportunity to learn or improve your German, sharpen your academic English, or pick up an entirely new language. Check out their course offerings on UniVis.
- The Learning Lab works with a number of internal university institutes to offer help in learning foreign languages, writing in both German and English, and, coming soon, workshops on a number of interesting topics, including working with digital media, presentation techniques, and study strategies. For the most up-to-date information on Learning Lab events, please visit their News site.
Office of Gender and Diversity:
- The Office of Gender and Diversity offers coachings, events, lectures, and more.
Regional Computer Center (RRZE):
- Computer courses in software such as Microsoft Office, SPSS, PhotoShop and more are offered in German.
- The university library offers guided tours in English for international students and staff, and includes instruction on the structure and offerings of the university library, how to use the online catalogue, and more.
Offers from External Entities:
- The European Commission (EC) offers information on projects for education and training, as well as how to get funding for them.
- The European Research Council (ERC) offers an informational page for events and conferences related to research, education, and careers in academia.
- The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung) can be a good resource for vocational training programs related to your field of study.
- The German Academic Exchange Service (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) offers courses and webinars in a number of topics, including intercultural communication, diversity, mobility, and conversation courses for learners of German; this webpage is only available in German at this time.
- The German Chemical Society offers continued education courses and career counseling for chemists in both German and English, including job application workshops, a labor law hotline, special offers for refugees interested in chemistry, and more.
- The German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft) offers courses in German, many of which may be offered at a free or discounted rate for recipients of DFG funding. For more information and a list of workshops (in German), please see this informational summary.
- The Press and Informational Office of the Federal Government can be a good resource for information on events and conferences on current topics in science and education. Please see this webage (in German) for more details.