The food chemistry research group at FAU focuses on the molecular determinants of food bioactivity and functionality. Foods are complex systems, which are composed of thousands of different components. In order to understand how the foods’ molecular composition modulates their (bio-)function, comprehensive profiling methods are applied based on cutting-edge mass spectrometry methods and bioinformatic tools.
Food peptides strongly influence the quality and possible health benefits of food. The combination of different high-resolution mass spectrometry methods allows for comprehensive qualitative and quantitative peptide profiling. Linked to virtual screening and bioinformatics analysis, the peptide profiles lead to the identification of novel functional ingredients, such as, e.g., highly active antimicrobial peptides from milk and plant sources.
Peptide profiling in combination with bioinformatics analysis can also identify marker compounds to control the authenticity of food, for example of milk and milk products, or to detect food fraud. Since various external and internal parameters influence the milk peptidome, a peptide marker set reflects various food properties, such as species, fermentation, storage or processing conditions.
High-resolution mass spectrometry linked to bioinformatics tools allows comprehensive profiling of the protein composition in foods. Thus, the qualitative protein composition reveals bioactive, techno-functional proteins and detects molecular differences between samples. Quantitative proteome analysis is a highly flexible method for the absolute and relative quantification of protein profiles in a complex food. Qualitative and quantitative protein profiles decipher the molecular determinants of food quality, health benefits and safety with the goal to control and rationally design its properties.
On the protein level, food proteomics aims for the comprehensive analysis of individual protein structures. Our work group develops and applies mass spectrometry methods for the systematic survey of non-enzymatic posttranslational modifications including structure elucidation and the time-dependent quantification of each specific product and binding site. The most prevalent non-enzymatic posttranslational modifications are oxidation, glycation to advanced glycation end-products (AGE), and Maillard reactions, which are formed, for example, during food processing.
Bioactive molecules interact with various cellular targets. Cellular proteomics aims for the comprehensive description of cellular reactions towards bioactive molecules by their time-dependent protein expression profile. The profile eventually allows the precise prediction of the tested bioactive components. Our work group developed, for example, pluridimensional targeted proteome assays to evaluate cytoprotective food components.
Within the DFG Research Training Group “Medicinal Chemistry of Selective GPCR Ligands” (RTG1910), we develop multiplexed targeted proteome assays to monitor downstream signaling events resulting from functionally selective ligand binding. Untargeted profiling of protein expression can identify novel signaling events. The objective is to develop a fast and flexible assay system based on proteomics tools to address ligand-biased signaling of ligands of G protein-coupled receptors.
As a part of the International Graduate Programme “Receptor Dynamics: Emerging Paradigms for Novel Drugs” of Elite Network of Bavaria, our group addresses the ligand-specific conformation of G protein-coupled receptors by a quantitative mass spectrometry approach.
“Neurotrition” describes the interaction between nutrition and neuronal function. Nutrients and diet can modulate brain functionality and brain activity, while the brain’s activity patterns in turn influence the nutritional intake.
The ongoing projects aim to elucidate how molecularly defined food components affect the brain functionality, and how the neurophysiological processes influence the type and quantity of consumed food.
The research unit Food Safety and Quality is a scientific platform for interdisciplinary research projects focusing on the quality enhancement of food and the improvement of food safety. For this purpose, different disciplines at Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg pool cutting-edge research in food-related projects. Translational projects transfer the results at an early stage to technical applications.
- Gensberger-Reigl, Sabrina, et al. "Metal cations promote α-dicarbonyl formation in glucose-containing peritoneal dialysis fluids." Glycoconjugate Journal 38.3 (2021): 319-329.
- Heymich, Marie-Louise, et al. "Generation of antimicrobial peptides Leg1 and Leg2 from chickpea storage protein, active against food spoilage bacteria and foodborne pathogens." Food Chemistry 347 (2021).
- Heymich, Marie-Louise, et al. "Antioxidative, antifungal and additive activity of the antimicrobial peptides leg1 and leg2 from chickpea." Foods 10.3 (2021).
- Heymich, Marie-Louise, Showmika Srirangan, and Monika Pischetsrieder. "Stability and activity of the antimicrobial peptide leg1 in solution and on meat and its optimized generation from chickpea storage protein." Foods 10.6 (2021).
- Teodorowicz, Malgorzata, et al. "Enhanced Uptake of Processed Bovine β-Lactoglobulin by Antigen Presenting Cells: Identification of Receptors and Implications for Allergenicity." Molecular Nutrition & Food Research (2021).
- Wenk, Deborah, et al. "Functionally selective activation of the dopamine receptor D2 is mirrored by the protein expression profiles." Scientific Reports 11.1 (2021).
- Ünalan, Irem, et al. "Antibacterial and antioxidant activity of cinnamon essential oil-laden 45S5 bioactive glass/soy protein composite scaffolds for the treatment of bone infections and oxidative stress." Materials Science and Engineering C 128 (2021).
- Becker, Anna, et al. "Reactive dicarbonyl compounds cause Calcitonin Gene-Related Peptide release and synergize with inflammatory conditions in mouse skin and peritoneum." Journal of Biological Chemistry 295.19 (2020): 6330-6343.
- Busse, Kristin, et al. "Comment on "Plastic Teabags Release Billions of Microparticles and Nanoparticles into Tea"." Environmental Science & Technology 54.21 (2020): 14134-14135.
- Craig-Atkins, Elizabeth, et al. "The dietary impact of the Norman Conquest: A multiproxy archaeological investigation of Oxford, UK." PLoS ONE 15 (2020): e0235005.
- Dalabasmaz, Sevim, and Monika Pischetsrieder. "Peptidomics in Food." Comprehensive Foodomics. Ed. Cifuentes, A., Oxford: Elsevier B.V., 2020. 651-665.
- Hammann, Simon, and Lucy J.E. Cramp. "Ancient Foodomics: Analytical Strategies for Reconstruction of Palaeodiets and Implications for Human Health." Reference Module in Food Science. 2020.
- Hammann, Simon, et al. "Mechanisms of lipid preservation in archaeological clay ceramics revealed by mass spectrometry imaging." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 117.26 (2020): 14688-14693.
- Korf, Ansgar, et al. "Digging deeper - A new data mining workflow for improved processing and interpretation of high resolution GC-Q-TOF MS data in archaeological research." Scientific Reports 10 (2020).
- Kurzweil, Lisa, et al. "Targeted mass spectrometry of ketamine and its metabolites cis-6-hydroxynorketamine and norketamine in human blood serum." Journal of Chromatography B-Analytical Technologies in the Biomedical and Life Sciences 1152 (2020).
- Meltretter, Jasmin, et al. "Untargeted Proteomics-Based Profiling for the Identification of Novel Processing-Induced Protein Modifications in Milk." Journal of Proteome Research 19.2 (2020): 805-818.
- Miller, Melanie J., et al. "Interpreting ancient food practices: stable isotope and molecular analyses of visible and absorbed residues from a year-long cooking experiment." Scientific Reports 10 (2020).
- Nasiri, Elham, et al. "Novel milk-clotting enzyme from sour orange flowers (Citrus aurantium L.) as a coagulant in Iranian white cheese." European Food Research and Technology 246.1 (2020): 139-148.
- Primpke, Sebastian, et al. "Critical Assessment of Analytical Methods for the Harmonized and Cost-Efficient Analysis of Microplastics." Applied Spectroscopy 74.9 (2020): 1012-1047.
- Sabraoui, Talal, et al. "Determination of Punicalagins Content, Metal Chelating, and Antioxidant Properties of Edible Pomegranate (Punica granatum L) Peels and Seeds Grown in Morocco." International Journal of Food Science 2020 (2020).
- Sarau, George, et al. "Correlative Microscopy and Spectroscopy Workflow for Microplastics." Applied spectroscopy (2020).
- Savastano, Maria Luisa, et al. "Influence of the production technology on kefir characteristics: Evaluation of microbiological aspects and profiling of phosphopeptides by LC-ESI-QTOF-MS/MS." Food Research International 129 (2020).
- Sommer, Thomas, et al. "Absorption, Biokinetics, and Metabolism of the Dopamine D2 Receptor Agonist Hordenine (N, N-Dimethyltyramine) after Beer Consumption in Humans." Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 68.7 (2020): 1998-2006.
- Antonova, Kristina, et al. "Analysis of Chemically Labile Glycation Adducts in Seed Proteins: Case Study of Methylglyoxal-Derived Hydroimidazolone 1 (MG-H1)." International Journal of Molecular Sciences 20.15 (2019).
- Dalabasmaz, Sevim, et al. "Identification of peptides reflecting the storage of UHT milk by MALDI-TOF-MS peptide profiling." Journal of Proteomics 207 (2019): 103444.
- Dalabasmaz, Sevim, and Monika Pischetsrieder. "Design of a Prediction Model for the Differentiation of Pasteurized Milk from Heated ESL Milk by Peptide Profiling." Proteomics 19.7 (2019): e1800292.
- Gensberger-Reigl, Sabrina, et al. "Identification of [6-Hydroxy-2-(hydroxymethyl)-5-oxo-5,6-dihydro-2 H-pyran-3-yl]-cysteine (HHPC) as a Cysteine-specific Modification Formed from 3,4-Dideoxyglucosone-3-ene (3,4-DGE)." Chemical Research in Toxicology 32.2 (2019): 304-311.
- Gensberger-Reigl, Sabrina, and Andreas Konopa. "Chloratrückstände - Optimierung von Reinigungsprozessen basierend auf der quantitativen Analyse von Chlorat." Deutsche Lebensmittel-Rundschau 115.10 (2019).
- Gensberger-Reigl, Sabrina, and Andreas Konopa. "Optimization of Cleaning Processes based on the quantitative Analysis of Chlorate." Deutsche Lebensmittel-Rundschau 115.10 (2019): 444-450.
- Hammann, Simon, et al. "Lipid profiling and analytical discrimination of seven cereals using high temperature gas chromatography coupled to high resolution quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry." Food Chemistry 282 (2019): 27-35.
- Heß, Andreas, et al. "Influence of the fat/carbohydrate component of snack food on energy intake pattern and reinforcing properties in rodents." Behavioural Brain Research 364 (2019): 328-333.
- Oßmann, Barbara, et al. "Comment on “exposure to microplastics (<10 μm) associated to plastic bottles mineral water consumption: The first quantitative study by Zuccarello et al. [Water Research 157 (2019) 365–371]”." Water Research (2019).
- Röhrig, Waldemar, et al. "Quantification of 24 circulating endocannabinoids, endocannabinoid-related compounds, and their phospholipid precursors in human plasma by UHPLC-MS/MS." Journal of Lipid Research 60.8 (2019): 1475-1488.
- Sahin, Sümeyye, Andrea Büttner, and Monika Pischetsrieder. "Molekulare Ernährungsphysiologie. Neurotrition - wie Lebensmittel auf die Gehirnfunktion wirken." Chemie in Unserer Zeit 53 (2019): 320-323.
- Savastano, Maria Luisa, et al. "Profiling of multiphosphorylated peptides in kefir and their release during simulated gastrointestinal digestion." ACS Omega 4 (2019): 7963-7970.
- Schulz, Carolin, Chafia Chiheb, and Monika Pischetsrieder. "Quantification of co-, n-, and ad-lupulone in hop-based dietary supplements and phytopharmaceuticals and modulation of their contents by the extraction method." Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 168 (2019): 124-132.
- Sommer, Thomas, et al. "Monitoring of the dopamine D2 receptor agonists hordenine and N-methyltyramine during the brewing process and in commercial beer samples." Food Chemistry 276 (2019): 745-753.
- Vetter, Walter, et al. "Development of equivalent chain length (ECL) rules for lipid compounds." Journal of Chromatography A 1599 (2019): 187-195.
- Östreicher, Christiane, Sabrina Gensberger-Reigl, and Monika Pischetsrieder. "Targeted mass spectrometry to monitor nuclear accumulation of endogenous Nrf2 and its application to SH-SY5Y cells stimulated with food components." Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 411.6 (2019): 1273-1286.
- Boteva, Elitsa, et al. "Phosphoglucose isomerase deficiency in Escherichia coli K-12 is associated with increased spontaneous mutation rate." Advances in Microbiology 8 (2018): 390-405.
- Cappellini, Enrico, et al. "Ancient Biomolecules and Evolutionary Inference." Annual Review of Biochemistry 87 (2018): 1029-1060.
- Hammann, Simon, and Lucy Cramp. "Towards the detection of dietary cereal processing through absorbed lipid biomarkers in archaeological pottery." Journal of Archaeological Science 93 (2018): 74-81.
- Hammann, Simon, et al. "Cholesterol degradation in archaeological pottery mediated by fired clay and fatty acid pro-oxidants." Tetrahedron Letters 59.50 (2018): 4401-4404.
- Hellwig, Michael, et al. "Food-derived 1,2-dicarbonyl compounds and their role in diseases." Seminars in Cancer Biology 49 (2018): 1-8.
- Liu, Yufang, and Monika Pischetsrieder. "Absolute quantification of two antimicrobial peptides alpha(S2)-casein(182-207) and alpha(S2)-casein(151-181) in bovine milk by UHPLC-ESI-MS/MS in sMRM mode." Food Chemistry 261 (2018): 15-20.
- Mendez Torrijos, Andrea, et al. "Snack food as a modulator of human resting-state functional connectivity." Cns Spectrums (2018): 1-12.
- Müller, Marco, Simon Hammann, and Walter Vetter. "Countercurrent chromatographic isolation and purification of 11′-α-tocomonoenol from the vitamin E extract of palm oil." Food Chemistry 256 (2018): 327-332.
- Oßmann, Barbara, et al. "Small-sized microplastics and pigmented particles in bottled mineral water." Water Research 141 (2018): 307-316.
- Pignitter, Marc, et al. "Regioisomeric distribution of 9-and 13-hydroperoxy linoleic acid in vegetable oils during storage and heating." Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 98.3 (2018): 1240-1247.
- Pischetsrieder, Monika. "Global Food-Related Challenges: What Chemistry Has Achieved and What Remains to Be Done." Angewandte Chemie International Edition 57.36 (2018): 11476-11477.
- Schulz, Carolin, et al. "Activation of membrane-located Ca2+ channels by hop beta acids and their tricyclic transformation products." Food Chemistry 252 (2018): 215-227.
- Yu, Yidong, et al. "Mating-type factor-specific regulation of the fumagillin/pseurotin secondary metabolite supercluster in Aspergillus fumigatus." Molecular Microbiology 110.6 (2018): 1045-1065.
- Bartenbacher, Sven, Christiane Östreicher, and Monika Pischetsrieder. "Profiling of antioxidative enzyme expression induced by various food components using targeted proteome analysis." Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 61.9 (2017).
- Dalabasmaz, Sevim, Jennifer Ebner, and Monika Pischetsrieder. "Identification of the Peptide PyroQ-beta Casein(194-209) as a Highly Specific and Sensitive Marker to Differentiate between Ultrahigh-Temperature Processed (UHT) Milk and Mildly Heated Milk." Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 65.49 (2017): 10781-10791.
- Emirbayer, Pelin Esma, et al. "Targeted label-free quantification of interleukin-8 in PMA-activated U937 cell secretome by nanoLC-ESI-MS/MS-sSRM." Proteomics (2017).
- Emirbayer, Pelin Esma, et al. "Proteomic Response of Human Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cells to Histamine Stimulation." Proteomics 17.21 (2017).
- Irias-Mata, Andrea, et al. "Tocopherols, Tocomonoenols, and Tocotrienols in Oils of Costa Rican Palm Fruits: A Comparison between Six Varieties and Chemical versus Mechanical Extraction." Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 65.34 (2017): 7476-7482.
- Juhlke, Florian, et al. "Influence of the Chemical Structure on Odor Qualities and Odor Thresholds of Halogenated Guaiacol-Derived Odorants." Frontiers in Chemistry 5 (2017).
- Kröner, Eva-Maria, and Andrea Büttner. "Unravelling important odorants in horseradish (Armoracia rusticana)." Food Chemistry (2017): 455-465.
- Li, Xuan, Linwei Liu, and Monika Pischetsrieder. "Pomegranate (Punica granatum L,) wine polyphenols affect Nrf2 activation and antioxidant enzyme expression in human neuroblastoma cells (SH-SY5Y)." Journal of Functional Foods 38 (2017): 140-150.
- Liu, Yufang, and Monika Pischetsrieder. "Identification and Relative Quantification of Bioactive Peptides Sequentially Released during Simulated Gastrointestinal Digestion of Commercial Kefir." Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 65.9 (2017): 1865-1873.
- Lopez Pinar, Angela, et al. "Unexpected impact of 2-methylisoborneol as off-odour substance in aged wines." Food Chemistry (2017): 498–504.
- Oßmann, Barbara, et al. "Development of an optimal filter substrate for the identification of small microplastic particles in food by micro-Raman spectroscopy." Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 409.16 (2017): 4099-4109.
- Sahin, Sümeyye, et al. "Identification of eugenol as the major determinant of GABA(A)-receptor activation by aqueous Syzygium aromaticum L. (clove buds) extract." Journal of Functional Foods 37 (2017): 641-649.
- Schranz, Maria, et al. "Influence of the chemical structure on the odor qualities and odor thresholds of guaiacol-derived odorants, Part 1: Alkylated, alkenylated and methoxylated derivatives." Food Chemistry 232 (2017): 808-819.
- Schranz, Maria, et al. "Influence of the chemical structure on the odor qualities and odor thresholds of guaiacol-derived odorants, Part 1: alkylated, alkenylated and methoxylated derivatives." Food Chemistry (2017): 808-819.
- Sommer, Thomas, et al. "Identification of the Beer Component Hordenine as Food-Derived Dopamine D2 Receptor Agonist by Virtual Screening a 3D Compound Database." Scientific Reports 7 (2017): 44201.
- Thürauf, Norbert, et al. "Effects of different isocaloric oral nutrient solutions on olfactory functioning, hunger and food craving." 2017. E55-E55.
- Vetter, Walter, et al. "The use of countercurrent chromatography in the separation of nonpolar lipid compounds." Journal of Chromatography A 1501 (2017): 51-60.
- Wiedmer, Christoph, Cristina Velasco-Schön, and Andrea Büttner. "Characterization of off-odours and potentially harmful substances in a fancy dress accessory handbag for children." Scientific Reports (2017).
- Östreicher, Christiane, Sven Bartenbacher, and Monika Pischetsrieder. "Targeted proteome analysis with isotope-coded protein labels for monitoring the influence of dietary phytochemicals on the expression of cytoprotective proteins in primary human colon cells." Journal of Proteomics 166 (2017): 27-38.